Paxil can cause sleepiness or may affect your ability to make decisions, think clearly, or react quickly. You should not drive, operate heavy machinery, or do other dangerous activities until you know how Paxil affects you. Do not drink alcohol while using Paxil.
Before starting Paxil, tell your healthcare provider if you:are pregnant, may be pregnant, or plan to become pregnant. There is a possibility that Paxil may harm your unborn baby, including an increased risk of birth defects, particularly heart defects. Other risks may include a serious condition in which there is not enough oxygen in the baby’s blood. Your baby may also have certain other symptoms shortly after birth. Premature births have also been reported in some women who used Paxil during pregnanc
- are breastfeeding. Paxil passes into your milk. Talk to your healthcare provider about the best way to feed your baby while taking Paxil.
- are taking certain drugs such as triptans used to treat migraine headache, other antidepressants (SSRIs, SNRIs, tricyclics, or lithium) or antipsychotics, drugs that affect serotonin, such as lithium, tramadol, tryptophan, St. John’s wort, certain drugs used to treat irregular heart beats. certain drugs used to treat schizophrenia. certain drugs used to treat HIV infection. certain drugs that affect the blood, such as warfarin, aspirin, and ibuprofen, certain drugs used to treat epilepsy. atomoxetine, cimetidine. fentanyl, metoprolol, pimozide, procyclidine, tamoxifen
- have liver problems
- have kidney problems
- have heart problems
- have or had seizures or convulsions
- have bipolar disorder or mania
- have low sodium levels in your blood
- have a history of a stroke
- have high blood pressure
- have or had bleeding problems
- have glaucoma (high pressure in the eye)
Tell your healthcare provider about all the medicines you take, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements. Paxil and some medicines may interact with each other, may not work as well, or may cause serious side effects.
If you take Paxil, you should not take any other medicines that contain paroxetine hydrochloride, including Paxil CR and Prexeva(paroxetine mesylate).