Common Side Effects:
- Blurred or double vision
- Lack of coordination
- Abdominal pain
- Back pain
- Nausea, vomiting
- Dry mouth
Serious Side Effects:
Lamictal may cause a serious skin rash that may cause you to be hospitalized or even cause death. There is no way to tell if a mild rash will become more serious. A serious skin rash can happen at any time during your treatment with Lamictal, but is more likely to happen within the first 2 to 8 weeks of treatment. Children between 2 to 16 years of age have a higher chance of getting this serious skin rash while taking Lamictal.
The risk of getting a serious skin rash is higher if you:
- Take Lamictal while taking valproate [DEPAKENE® (valproic acid) or DEPAKOTE® (divalproex sodium)]
- Take a higher starting dose of Lamictal than your healthcare provider prescribed
- Increase your dose of Lamictal faster than prescribed.
Call your healthcare provider right away if you have any of the following:
- A skin rash
- Blistering or peeling of your skin
- Painful sores in your mouth or around your eyes
These symptoms may be the first signs of a serious skin reaction. A healthcare provider should examine you to decide if you should continue taking Lamictal.
Lamictal can also cause other types of allergic reactions or serious problems that may affect organs and other parts of your body like your liver or blood cells. You may or may not have a rash with these types of reactions. Call your healthcare provider right away if you have any of these symptoms:
- Frequent infections
- Severe muscle pain
- Swelling of your face, eyes, lips, or tongue
- Swollen lymph glands
- Unusual bruising or bleeding
- Weakness, fatigue
- Yellowing of your skin or the white part of your eyes
Like other antiepileptic drugs, Lamictal may cause suicidal thoughts or actions in a very small number of people, about 1 in 500.
Call a healthcare provider right away if you have any of these symptoms, especially if they are new, worse, or worry you:
- Thoughts about suicide or dying
- Attempt to commit suicide
- New or worse depression
- New or worse anxiety
- Feeling agitated or restless
- Panic attacks
- Trouble sleeping (insomnia)
- New or worse irritability
- Acting aggressive, being angry, or violent
- Acting on dangerous impulses
- An extreme increase in activity and talking (mania)
- Other unusual changes in behavior or mood
Lamictal may rarely cause aseptic meningitis, a serious inflammation of the protective membrane that covers the brain and spinal cord.
Call your healthcare provider right away if you have any of the following symptoms:
- Stiff neck
- Unusual sensitivity to light
- Muscle pains
Meningitis has many causes other than Lamictal, which your doctor would check for if you developed meningitis while taking Lamictal.