Effexor is used to treat:
- Generalized anxiety disorder
- Major depressive disorder
- Panic disorder
- Social anxiety
When Effexor Should Not be Used
- Effexor should not be used in patients who are currently taking an Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOI) due to the increased risk of serotonin syndrome.
- Allow at least 2 weeks between stopping an MAO inhibitor and starting of Effexor.
- Wait at least 1 week after stopping Effexor before starting an MAO inhibitor.
- Effexor should not be used in patients that have a history of mania, seizures, or kidney problems.